Your roof is the one thing preventing your home from being completely exposed to the elements, so we at Houser Roofing believe it’s pretty important for it to be in good shape. However, when it comes to hiring a roofing contractor, not all contractors are on an equal playing field. Some will overcharge you for their services while others won’t be able to provide the level of quality work that you deserve. So, when it finally comes time to hire a roofing contractor, where do you start? And how do you make your decision?
How to Find a Quality Roofer
There are a few ways to find a good roofer, but we can say that searching the yellow pages should never be your first choice. Asking friends and family members who they have hired in the past is a good start, and so is checking out online reviews. You can also ask people at your local home builder’s association, as they likely have worked with many roofers in the past. Once you find a few potential companies to work with (including Houser Roofing!), ask about the experience level of the workers and some samples of the work they have done in the past. They will be able to show you photos or even tell you where their roofing projects were completed.
Next, check their schedule. If they are not available until next year, then you likely won’t want to choose that roofer. Also, ask for references for you to be able to contact. These should be past clients, including business. You can ask these references the following questions to ensure that the company is the best choice for you:
- If you needed to, would you use this roofer again?
- Have you had any issues with the roof since the work was completed? If you have, did the roofer respond to you about the issue quickly?
- Did the job get completed within the proposed budget? If not, how much more did you need to pay in order to complete the roof? Were those additions necessary?
- Did the roofer damage any of your property outside the roof, or were any stray nails left behind once the job was completed?
- Was there a designated foreman available to answer any of your questions and address any issues you may have had?
Getting a Great Roofing Job
Here are a few things we suggest when getting a new roof to ensure that you are getting the best quality work and product for your money:
- Replace the flashing – Replacing things like the valley and eaves flashing is always much less expensive when getting a new roof than it is when it’s time to do repairs.
- Check your attic ventilation – Your attic ventilation matters a lot when it comes to keeping proper airflow in your home and protecting the sheathing from rotting. If need be, you should consider having ridge and soffit vents installed so that cool air can circulate into the attic and prevent these issues altogether.
Ask What You Want to Know
Are you worried about some of your bushes that are right next to the house? Are you concerned about how the roofing team will handle any hazardous materials and tools? Always ask! Roofers are used to working around the home and keeping careful watch over each other to make sure your property is safe and sound.
If you are interested in a free inspection to see what needs to be done to your roof, don’t hesitate to call the professionals at Houser Roofing today! We are here to help you with all of your roofing needs, and we would be happy to provide you with an estimate. Call us now to learn more about our services and how we can help you.